Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Visible love through shopping

I believe by simply redirecting our spending habits to shop from companies who are helping others  we can make a big difference. Why not make it a goal this year to make our Christmas Shopping count in both ways. We could make the people who are in needs as happy as the person we give the gifts to. By shopping from companies who stands behind a cause we are not only giving material gifts, but we are also giving spiritual gifts to others.  I will do my best each week to find three companies with a mission to help those who are in need and list them with the description of in what ways they are supporting others. If you know any companies please feel free to suggest, so I could put them in my next blog. Together we can educate ourselves and make it a habit to help others  while we shop.  
1) ComeTogetherTrading.com is an online marketplace. If you are looking for really cool looking accessories both men and women can wear as well as t-shirts with good messages this is a place to go. All of the products they sell are handmade with great love by wonderful amazing people who just happen to live in some of the most poverty stricken and difficult places in the world. By purchasing their products you are helping create and sustain jobs for them, which positively impacts all other areas of their life. Under each item for sale, you will find the inspiring stories of the incredible people who make the products and learn how your purchase is benefiting them and their communities.













2) At tradeasone.com you can find anything.  When I say anything I really mean anything...Starting from honey, wood carved gifts, olive oils, to  coffee, cool accessories, Journal, and  Jim bags. I guess you got the Idea.  Trade as one is a company with a mission to provide as much fair-trade employment as possible to fight long term poverty. They believe the poor want what we do - not handouts or pity, but a chance to provide for their families in a dignified way. It means fair wages, honest employers, clean water, healthcare, education for children. Their first goal is to provide as many of these jobs as they can.


3) The open Arm Shop. If you are looking to buy one of a kind skirts or scarves that are made from recycled t-shirts you are in the right place.  Open Arms is a company that is  committed to providing refugee women in America a living wage to create one of a kind products using recycled t-shirts  (the baseline hourly income necessary for food and shelter [including housing and incidentals such as clothing and other basic needs]) which typically runs $3-$7 above the federal minimum wage. Combining ESL and enrichment classes on an as-needed basis with family-friendly hours, this meaningful work and living wage are intended to set these women and their families on an upward path of integration and prosperity.

Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. Hebrew 4:16





8 comments:

  1. love this post! please check out this nonprofit store http://daughtersrising.org/the-brave-collection/ all the proceeds go to help at risk girls and victims of sex trafficking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! thank you for your suggestion. I will take a look at it and post it next week.

      Delete
  2. Negat, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, great post! Here is great company who help a child in need.
    About a year ago I got my first pair of Toms shoes.
    http://www.toms.com/
    They are my go to shoe when I know I'll be walking around. TOMS Shoes adorable and comfortable, their business model is “one for one” – meaning…each pair of TOMS you buy, the company gives a pair to a child in third world country. What’s better than buying a great product with the knowledge that you are helping them to avoid soil-transmitted diseases and cuts and sores that may become infected, or to go to school in areas where children are not allowed to attend barefoot – the list goes on and on...
    By the way, we order some items from ComeTogetherTrading.com, they have great stuff at great prices! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time and writing about such a great company who stood behind such a great cause. I will definetly put "TOMS" in my next post. I also happened to be one of the many fans of TOMS adorable shoes. I am so happy to hear that you were able to support and buy some items from Cometogethertrading.com

      Delete
  3. HI Negat,

    I have some friends that just opened a business called Evrbottle...https://www.facebook.com/evrbottle
    I think they're a great match for your weekly Visible Love Through Shopping article.

    Olaf

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Olaf!I just checked out the face book page. They have really cool products, but It seems like they only sell at the local farmers market. Do you know if they are going to have a website soon? I can't find any website beside the face book page.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Negat! Thank you for your post and your efforts to increase awareness of our awesome purchasing power, especially here in America where so many have so much. I write a fair trade fashion blog (I only just started recently), and I also represent artisans who live in impoverished areas of the world by marketing their handmade, fairly traded wares. We have jewelry made from up cycled artillery casings by HIV positive women in Ethiopia, hand knitted alpaca arm warmers and scarves by women in Peru, and many beautiful pieces made from recycled paper in Uganda. I would love for you to highlight our company to get the word out about our artisans. Like come together trading, we offer artisan stories at the bottom of each listing to create a transparent shopping experience. http://brandimendenhall.noondaycollection.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brandi, I am actually very familiar with noondaycollection.com I have already posted your company on Visible Love Through Shopping Part 3. I appreciate for you to come to my blog and make a suggestion. I would be honored to have you become a member of my blog so we can exchange informations about other companies as well. I will also go a head and do the same on your blog. Thank you!

      Delete