Friday, September 28, 2012

Faith without works

It is easy to talk about your religion, what rituals you practice, or preach to others how they can be saved, but sometimes we need to stop and ask ourselves one simple question “am I really practicing what I am preaching? “

One of my favorite quotes on the book of James 2:14-18 teaches as follows.
“What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he hath faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or a sister is naked and destitute of daily food and one of you says to them “depart in peace, be warmed and filled, but you did not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? Thus also faith by itself if it does not have work is dead. But someone will say “You have faith, and I have works. Show me your faith without your works and I will show you my faith by my works."
When we encounter a person who is in need of something we can provide, it might be easier to wish them well and walk away. We might even say to them “I will pray for you and I am sure god will provide” But the truth is God has already provided. He provided our presence in the person’s most desperate moment, and he is waiting for us to be willing to help him/her. Imagine the disappointment on god’s face when we handed back to him the person he gave us to help.  We were given a chance, but we blew it.
 
 Image credit: hardcitizen.com
Before we hand back to god the person who is in need, we should always ask ourselves how can I help this person? Sometimes we may not be able to help the person fully, but any help is better that no help at all. It is  like a weak person carrying many grocery bags and struggling to make it to the car. What happens if we carry just one bag for that person? How much easier his walk to the car be? How about if we carry two bags, and some might even afford to carry all of the bags. Either way it means with our help this person made it to the car a lot easier than he could manage on his own. 


Let’s not let anyone come up to us and say “show me your faith without your works and I will show you my faith by my works.” Instead let’s be prepared to say “I have faith and I have works which one do you want to see first? “
                                          Image credit: Swagstineblogspot.com

4 comments:

  1. Wow God bless your taught like I said keep it up it will help every day life thank you for remind us so many work we have to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comment. God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Dear Negat

    This is the best lesson of all, I think. One of the things that fascinate me about Israel is the innovation it contributed to the world. No country or nation comes cøloser to Israel when it comes to medical and technological innovation. As I was trying to find explanation for it, the medical innovation reminded me of Gods unchangeable word "Israel is the light of the nation" on the other hand I followed the discussion among top accademics and spirituals and they all pointed to "faith" as a source for innovation and realising advanced achievemnets who usually considered as dream. Turning imagination into practical innovation was refered by many of these Israeli explorers as a fruit of faith. Faith is the driving force to materialize imagination. And it reminds me again, Jesus walking on water and Pauls golden word " We walk by faith and not by sight". All technological advancements sound like that they begin with what is at first glance looks impossible by sight. And again it is true that faith without actions is dead. They are identical twins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. Thanks for participating in this discussion and showing us "Faith without works" from a different prespective. I always enjoy reading your comments.

    ReplyDelete